Skip to content

Open times: Monday - Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm

Banner of the EU and UK Flag

Brexit information for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens studying in the UK

On Thursday 23rd June 2016 a referendum was held to decide whether the United Kingdom (UK) should leave or remain in the European Union (EU). The decision to leave the EU won the vote. As a result of this referendum the UK was originally scheduled to leave the European Union (EU) at 11pm UK time on Friday 31st January 2020.

Since the referendum, the UK and the EU have been negotiating a ‘Withdrawal Agreement’ that will take effect when the UK leaves the EU. Currently we do not know whether a deal between the UK and EU will be agreed before the deadline.

What does this mean to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens studying here in the UK?  Depending on (i) your personal circumstances and (ii) whether the UK and the EU can reach an agreement, you may have to apply for immigration status here in the UK so you can continue your studies. It is therefore in your best interests to start researching and considering the different options available to you as the Brexit deadline approaches.

Recent Events - What's Happening?

  • The EU Settlement Scheme is officially open.  EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and family members can apply to be considered for EU Settlement.
  • A Brexit extension up to 31/10/2019 has been agreed between the UK and the EU for the ratification of the withdrawal agreement.  The UK has the option of leaving the EU earlier if the withdrawal agreement is ratified by Parliament.
  • A further extension up to 31/01/2020 has been agred by the EU.

Last Updated - 24.10.2019 12:41

For more information please visit the UKVI website. You can also visit the UK Council for International Student Affair’s (UKCISA) website
*Please note all information is subject to change at any time without notice from the UKVI.

Current EU Students

Travel advice: Travel before and after 31 January 2020

If the UK exits the European Union without a deal, there is potential for travel disruption, additional costs and delays due to changes in regulations and border controls. This may impact entry and exit to and from EU member states and the UK, mobile roaming charges, driving licence restrictions, car rental arrangements and travel insurance.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, it is impossible to know whether any travel disruption will occur, and if so how long it might last. Given the present uncertainty, we advise that you consider any travel plans carefully.

If you already have travel planned over this period, you don’t need to cancel it, but you should be prepared to adjust your plans. If you are a member of staff, a postgraduate researcher or a student and you plan to travel, we advise you to let your school or faculty know.

If you choose to book travel in this period, you should ensure you understand the associated cost of cancellation before booking. In addition to potential travel disruptions, a no-deal Brexit could have an impact on travel insurance.

Please keep checking the travel advice issued by the FCO at the point of booking international travel and immediately before travelling.

Anyone travelling to an EU member state should check their passport against country requirements on the website – most countries require at least six months to remain before the expiry date. British passport holders will have to join the queue for third-country nationals. If you hold an EU passport or ID card as well as a British passport, you will be able to exit the UK on the British passport but enter Europe on the EU document.

Information on travel and the EU Settlement Scheme for EU students

If you are an EU national travelling back into the UK to continue your studies after the UK leaves the EU and you have not been granted EU settlement, it is advisable to carry a student status letter from your Faculty or School office as evidence that you were residing in the UK before the UK left the EU.

EU citizens and their rights in a no deal scenario

Here is a policy document from the UK Government on EU citizens in the UK and UK nationals in the EU: Advice on Citizens Rights in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit from the UK Government

Brexit: information for prospective students

Fees and Funding

Existing rules around financial support and home fees will still apply to EU students starting university in 2020/21. The Department for Education has further reassured UUK that these commitments (for England) will be honoured in the event of a no deal.

The government has confirmed that EU students starting at the University in 2019/20 or 2020/21 will be eligible for home fee status. This means that they will be charged the same tuition fees as UK students throughout the duration of their course.

EU students who have been registered at the University in 2016/17, 2017/18 or 2018/19 (either as a new or continuing student) will continue to be charged the home rate for tuition fees for all subsequent years of their programme.

EU students who are eligible for student loans, grants and PhD studentships will still be able to access these for 2019/20 or 2020/21 entry.

Erasmus+ and study abroad

We have a strong commitment to enabling students to study and work abroad. Many of our students participate in the Erasmus+ programme, which is funded by the European Commission and provides a grant for students to study and work in Europe.

There is no immediate change to our participation in Erasmus+. We will be working to protect our involvement and to preserve and develop the close links we have with some of the best European universities.

The Draft Withdrawal Agreement confirms that UK universities will continue to be able to participate in the current Erasmus+ programme until its end date in December 2020 and that there will be no change in UK-EU immigration rules until 1 January 2021.

If the UK exits the EU without a deal, the situation may change. The future of our involvement in Erasmus+ in the case of a no-deal Brexit scenario has not yet been decided.

You can contact the International Office with queries on Erasmus+ and study abroad.

Comprehensive sickness cover

The Home Office has clarified that while EU students are required to have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), students will not be removed from the UK or refused entry solely because they do not have it. Read the UKCISA article.

Deal or no deal: what is Settled and Pre-Settled status?

How can I stay in the UK if there is no deal?


Submit an Enquiry

close tray menu