It is a requirement of the UK Government that anyone travelling to the U.K. has proof of a negative Covid19 test before they travel and enter England.
You must take a test even if:
- you are a UK citizen
- you are coming from a country on the travel corridors list
You must take the test in the 3 days before you start your journey to England.
For example, if you travel on Friday, you must take a test on the Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.
You will need to present valid proof of your negative test before you board to travel to England.
If you don’t present proof of a negative test result certificate, you may not be able to board your transport to England.
If you arrive in England without proof of a negative test result, you could be fined £500.
The UK Government requires most nationalities arriving into the UK to quarantine for 10 days. If you need to do this, we will look after you!
To find out if you need to quarantine (please keep checking this as the countries are expected to be updated regularly) please see the list of exempt countries.
Therefore, the quarantine will depend on whether you book private or University accommodation. See information below for both, in terms of cost how we will work with those who have to quarantine.
If you have booked and are staying in University Accommodation for the duration of your studies
- The University will have facilities for all students staying in University Accommodation for the year to quarantine in our accommodation should they be required to at the start of term. This will be provided at no additional cost to your accommodation contract.
- Students will only be able to quarantine by themselves. There will be no family or friends permitted to stay with them.
- Residents in University accommodation will be allocated a room in flats of 7 with other students who arrive on the same day as them. This will enable them to quarantine for the 10 day period required (where possible subject to staggered student arrivals). This group will then be considered a ‘household’ for the purposes of social distancing meaning students can move freely around the flat but will not be able to leave it.
- Food parcels (non-perishable) for arriving international students in University accommodation will be provided as part of a welcome pack. Each flat will be stocked with supplies prior to arrival. Supplies will be provided during the 10 day period of isolation should amounts run out. We will provide additional information should students wish to order additional things themselves at their own expense. Students are welcome to bring food with them, please check UK Customs information on what you are permitted to bring.
- Additional Residential Assistants will be secured to provide continuing on-site support, subject to social distancing measures;
- Cleaning regimes and domestic support at the halls of residences will be enhanced and maintained during the period of the pandemic, and beyond.
- At the end of your quarantine period, you will move out of the flat you have quarantined in and will then move into the room you have been allocated for the duration of your degree. Once you have moved into that room, there will be no need to quarantine
- Wifi will be available so you are able to keep in touch with friends and family and can participate in the University freshers and arrival online activities. Please ensure that you bring with you a suitable device, such as laptop or tablet, which will allow you to engage with the University and our online enrolment, induction and teaching content.
If you are staying in Private Accommodation for the duration of your studies
In Sunderland there are a number of private landlords offering rooms close to our campus. You are free to organise these yourself however we advise that you check with your landlord the below before committing to a contract. You MUST ensure that:
- You can quarantine if you are required to do so
- If you are, can they ensure, the below will be available to you:
- All bills will be set up prior to arrival so you do not have to do this if you are required to quarantine
- Wifi is set up and working so you are able to keep in touch with friends and family and can participate in the University freshers and arrival online activities. Please ensure that you bring with you a suitable device, such as laptop or tablet, which will allow you to engage with the University and our online enrolment, induction and teaching.
If your accommodation involves sharing a house or flat, check you are comfortable that the landlord has appropriate measures in place should you or another housemate need to quarantine.
Before you travel, alongside a negative Covid19 test the UK Government requires you to complete a Public Health Passenger Locator Form. They will use the information you provide to contact you if a passenger on your flight tests positive for Coronavirus (Covid19). You cannot submit this form until 48 hours before your arrival time in the UK.
Provide your journey and contact details before you travel to the U.K.
If you're travelling to the U.K, you need to provide your details in case you or someone you've travelled with develops coronavirus symptoms.