Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

Places I've been

The following links below mark the 21 most recent pages you have visited in Sunderland.ac.uk.

Cost of Living Support Fund

The Cost of Living Support Fund is available to support students with rising domestic energy costs.

The fund is open to University of Sunderland students (UK, EU and International) who reside in the UK. The fund can offer a non-repayable grant of £100 to provide a contribution to a student's gas and electricity costs.

Please read the information below carefully, as it gives you important information and guidance about this fund and how to apply.

Am I eligible to apply?

The Cost of Living Support Fund is open to current students of the University who study and reside in the UK, and who are responsible for paying for their domestic energy use (gas/electricity).

The fund is open to UK, EU and International students who are:

  • Currently enrolled on an Undergraduate degree, Postgraduate Masters or PhD (whether Taught or Research based), PGCE, Foundation Degree, Integrated Foundation Year, or Art Foundation
  • Full-time, part-time or distance learning

In order to be eligible, you must be:

  • Currently enrolled on a programme of study at the time of application;
  • Responsible for the payment of your domestic energy; and
  • Living in owner-occupied or private rented accommodation.

Students living in the parental home, or in University/other student accommodation where energy costs are included in rent payments, are not eligible.

How do I apply?

You will need to complete a short form to apply for the Cost of Living Support Fund and provide supporting evidence. You can download the form here - Cost of Living Support Fund application form

The form asks you to provide us with TWO items of evidence, as follows:

  • Copy of your Tenancy Agreement (clearly showing your name, OR evidence that you own your home (e.g. mortgage statement in your name);

  • Evidence that you pay for gas/electricity - e.g. energy bill in your name and/or your partner/spouse at the same address; energy supplier contract; or other evidence of payments such as a bank statement clearly showing energy payments.


Where do I send the form?

Once you have completed the application form and gathered your supporting evidence, you should email CLSfund@sunderland.ac.uk with the form and evidence as attachments. One of our team will check this, and let you know if there is anything else we need.

Please ensure that supporting information is in English wherever possible.

(When providing documents to the University by email, the most secure way is to collate all of your documents into either a PDF document or a Word document, then password protect the document prior to emailing it to us.  For guidance on how to add a password to your document, please see our advice here. You can use the last 6 digits of your university registration number (from your uni campus card) as the password, or contact us separately if you wish to use a different password.)

When is the deadline for making an application?

The fund is limited and applications will close when available funds have been spent or on 31st May 2022, whichever is earlier. We would therefore advise you to make your application as soon as possible.

How long will it take to receive a decision and payment?

We aim to make a decision, and any payment from the Fund, within three to four weeks of receiving a fully completed form and supporting evidence

Please note that if the form is incomplete, or if you have not provided sufficient evidence for us to make a decision, your application will be delayed. Please do remember to check your application and evidence is complete before sending it to us.

We will email you our decision, using the email address on your application form.

How will payment be made?

We will make payment directly into your bank account. This means that you must ensure that your bank account details are up-to-date on your E-vision account in MySunderland. Ideally you need to give us your UK bank account details as this is very much the fastest payment method. 


I need advice on completing the form

The Fund is administered by the Student Support Funds Office. You can find their contact details here.

Our Student Financial Guidance Team can also help you - not only with the Cost of Living Support Fund form but also if you have any wider questions about student finance issues. You can find their contact details here.

close tray menu