Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

Places I've been

The following links below mark the 21 most recent pages you have visited in Sunderland.ac.uk.

EU student

Funding Information for EU Students in 2021/22

Archived information for EU students who started on undergraduate courses in the 2021/22 academic year.

Following the UK’s exit from the EU, the Student Finance rules have changed for students from the EU starting new courses in the UK.

The new rules only affect students starting a new course in 2021/22 onwards – so students who are already receiving UK government funding for studying a course in the UK, and will be continuing on that same course, will not be affected by the new rules.

In terms of EU students wanting to start a course from August 2021 onwards, in order to receive funding from the UK Government you will need to satisfy residency criteria under the Student Finance Regulations and either:

  • have been granted a form of settled status, Indefinite Leave to Remain, or Refugee status in the UK by the Home Office, or
  • have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme and been awarded pre-settled status or settled status under that scheme, or
  • be classed as a Migrant Worker in the UK.

Irish citizens are also protected by rules under the Common Travel Area arrangements.

If you do not fit into any of the above categories, the UK Home Office may classify you as an International Student, you will require a visa to study in the UK, and you will not be eligible to financial support from the UK Government.

Student Finance England recently published a guide that covers most of the simple scenarios, as follows:

SFE EU funding table

As you can see from the table, students who have settled status in the UK and have lived in the UK and Islands for 3 years prior to starting their course are effectively treated the same for funding purposes as a UK student.

Similarly, if Student Finance England agree that you are a Migrant Worker, and you have been living in the UK, EU, EEA, Gibraltar or Switzerland for 3 years prior to starting your course, you can also apply for the same support as a UK student.

If you have been awarded pre-settled status under the EUSS and have been living in the UK, EU, EEA, Gibraltar or Switzerland for 3 years prior to starting your undergraduate degree course, you can apply to Student Finance England for a Tuition Fee Loan but no help with your living costs etc. See https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/eu-students 

The Student Financial Guidance Team cannot give you advice on queries regarding your immigration status, only on how your current status would relate to your eligibility to student finance. However, the UKCISA website is an excellent resource for information about studying in the UK as a student from the EU, and also covers information regarding immigration. We would strongly recommend that you take a look at their site, as there is much information in the ‘EU, EEA & Swiss Students’ section under the ‘Info & Advice’ tab.

They have also produced an extensive guide for EU students - https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/uploads/files/1/england_he_who_pays__home_fees_public_version2_28.5.21.pdf

How to contact the Student Financial Guidance Team:

If you have any questions on student finance and what funding will be applicable to you depending on your status in the UK, you can contact us by:



close tray menu