Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

Places I've been

The following links below mark the 21 most recent pages you have visited in Sunderland.ac.uk.

UK students

Postgraduate Funding in 2017/18

We have prepared the following information for students who are going to be starting postgraduate courses with us in the 2017/18 academic year. If you need any more information after reading this webpage, please contact us.

Sunderland Alumni Loyalty Scheme £1000

For students who have previously graduated from a degree course at the University of Sunderland and are starting a full-time Masters course in 2017/18, the University will be making a payment of £1000 as a scholarship directly to the student. This means that (as opposed to a fees discount in previous years) you can use the payment for whatever purpose you wish.

The scheme applies to graduates returning to the University to start a full-time Masters course (e.g. MA, MSc, or MBA). The £1000 payment will be made to eligible students in February 2018.

Check the eligibility criteria on the University’s website here - 




Government Postgraduate Loans

The Government has introduced loans from the Student Loans Company for Masters degree students from UK and EU. The loans are up to £10,280 for the course and are available to students pursuing Masters degrees across all subjects.

  • Loan is for full-time, part-time, or distance learning Masters courses in all subject areas.
  • A total of up to £10,280 can be borrowed, which can be used for your tuition fees and living costs (maintenance).
  • If studying full-time, the course must be no longer than 2 years in duration. If studying part-time, no longer than 4 years.
  • Loan will be split into termly instalments to the student over duration of their course. Onus is therefore on the student to manage their tuition fees payments to University themselves.
  • Available to students who are under the age of 60 at the start of the course, and who do not already have a Masters qualification.
  • Masters course can be teaching-based or research-based, but must be the full Masters course, not partial.
  • Students who are claiming means-tested benefits while studying (e.g. lone parents claiming Housing Benefit) should note that only 30% of the maximum loan is taken into account for benefits purposes. Therefore 70% is disregarded.
  • Loan repayments will be income-contingent (similar to undergraduate SLC loans) and repayments will not start until 2019.

More details on the application here -https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/how-to-apply

One thing to bear in mind with postgraduate student loans is that they must be repaid alongside your undergraduate student loan (if you have one). You start to repay Government student loans once you are earning over £21,000 per year. Undergraduate loan repayments are 9% of your income that is over £21,000. Postgraduate loan repayments are 6% of your income over £21,000. Therefore, if you have an existing undergraduate loan, and take out a postgraduate loan, you will repay them together as 15% of your income over £21,000.

For example, let's say your taxable income when you start paying both loans back is £27,000 per year. As we said above, the first £21,000 is not counted in the loan repayment calculation, but you do have to pay 15% of the remaining £6000. This means that you will pay £900 that year in student loan repayments - or £75 per month.

Research Councils

One of the main sources of government funding for postgraduate students in the UK.  To be eligible for a Research Council award you must be ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for at least 3 years before your application.  You normally need to have a 1st-Class or 2:1 Honours degree from a UK higher education institution.  The awards are offered on a competitive basis and in many areas only a small percentage of applicants are successful.  Generally, funding is easier to obtain in science and engineering than in arts and social sciences.

There are a variety of awards.  For example:

Advanced Course Studentships – for Master’s courses usually of one year’s duration.

Standard Research Studentships – for PhD or MPhil students on programmes of up to 3 years’ full-time or 5 years’ part-time.

Research Masters Training Awards – usually of one year’s duration.

Collaborative Awards in Science and Engineering (CASE) – these are similar to Standard Research Studentships but involve collaboration with industry, a public body or government research unit.

Detailed information on the funding available and the fields covered by the Research Councils can be found on funding pages of the Prospects website www.prospects.ac.uk , FindaMasters www.findamasters.com , or from the Research Councils’ own websites:

Students are also advised to check the University’s job vacancy website, as studentships are also advertised here: http://services.sunderland.ac.uk/hr/staffrecruitment/vacancies/


Professional & Career Development Loan (PCDL)

We are a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number 3855. 

A Professional and Career Development Loan is a loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. For further information please visit www.gov.uk/career-development-loans/overview or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.

Other Loans

Some banks offer deferred payment ‘professional study loans’. To qualify you would generally need to have a current account with the bank too, and the loans can be restricted by subject area. Check with your bank for their study loan options. 

Always check the terms and conditions of any loan you are considering, and make sure you understand the repayments and any charges before you sign an agreement.


Scholarships that provide full funding for postgraduate studies are rare; most scholarships tend to provide a contribution towards costs.  Some higher education institutions and professional institutions do have scholarship funds.  There is an internet search engine for scholarships – www.scholarship-search.org.uk

Also try:



https://targetpostgrad.com/advice/funding-advice (the Target Courses website)

Charities & Trusts

Two major charities to fund postgraduate research are the Wellcome Trust  www.wellcome.ac.uk and the Professional Aid Council http://www.professionalsaid.org.uk/.

There are many other charities and trusts that can sometimes provide financial help to students – but their funding is limited and often only provides contributions on the basis of exceptional financial need/hardship.  They also tend to have wide ranging eligibility criteria.

Try the Grants Search on www.turn2us.org.uk and also at the Target Courses website: https://targetpostgrad.com/advice/funding-advice

If you want any help with applications, let us know.

National Health Service (NHS) Bursaries

The NHS Grants Unit provides bursaries for courses leading to registration in the Allied Health Professions (AHPs) such as nursing, midwifery, physiotherapy, radiography.  Bursaries are available for postgraduate level courses.

If you have completed an undergraduate course for which you have received Student Support funding and choose to study an AHP course which is also at undergraduate level (a diploma in nursing or midwifery, or a bachelor’s degree) you may still receive NHS funding.  Diploma courses attract a non-means tested bursary. 

Information regarding the bursary system and eligibility for support can be found at – http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students.aspx

Social Work Bursary

In recent years, a non-income assessed bursary has been provided to students training to become social workers.  This has included bursaries for students who have previously studied other subjects at degree level, and Masters degree students. There are a limited amount of funded places allocated to each University.

More information is available on the NHS Business Services Authority website – http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students.aspx

Other Public Funding Bodies

The Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) runs a Postgraduate Students’ Allowances Scheme which offers awards for professional and vocational training.  These awards are made to Scottish-domiciled students studying anywhere in the UK on short courses usually at diploma level.  The awards are discretionary rather than mandatory.  Check the SAAS website for further information – www.saas.gov.uk

The Department for Employment and Learning in Northern Ireland (DELNI) provides funding for Northern Ireland-domiciled students and students from the rest of the UK who wish to study at postgraduate level in Northern Ireland.  EEA students may receive a fees only award.  You need to be ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland at the time of application.  DELNI also provides funding for full-time study in vocational courses.  Check the DELNI website for further information – www.delni.gov.uk

Other sources

It may also be useful to contact your Faculty of study, as they may have information on sources of funding over and above that which is available to the Student Financial Advice team. For example, in recent years our Faculties have secured funding for Careers Guidance courses, and some Science/ICT areas. You could ask the Programme Leader whether there is any funding for the course you are looking to study, and/or where the current cohort of students are getting their funding from.

If your course is a vocational course, further funding information may also be available from the national professional body for your chosen career.

Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)

DSAs are available to postgraduate students to help with study related costs.  You apply to your national Student Finance office.  For example, English students would apply to Student Finance England.

Detailed information is available from the Student Finance website: www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas .

Contact our Disability Support Team in the Edinburgh Building at City Campus for help in applying for DSAs.

University Hardship Fund

Postgraduate students are eligible to apply to UHF, administered by the University.  It is intended, however, to offer assistance to students facing exceptional costs or financial difficulties.  Postgraduate students are expected to have substantive funding available for their studies and UHF will not ‘top up’ the income of those who have started their course without securing sufficient funding. It also cannot be used to pay tuition fees.

The Fund is administered by the University's own Student Support Funds Office. You can find out more on their webpages here.

PGCEs and 2nd Undergraduate Degrees

The undergraduate Student Finance system, providing Tuition Fees support and Student Loans for undergraduate students, is also exceptionally paid for teacher training students - e.g. those studying for a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) leading to QTS/QTLS.  See our PGCE Teacher Training information for further details.

If you are planning on studying a second undergraduate degree course (i.e. you already have a bachelors degree and study a new bachelors degree) you are generally ineligible for help from the Student Finance system for Fees Loans and Maintenance Loans (exceptions being for teacher training QTS courses and Social Work). Entitlement to dependants grants and disability support from Student Finance can still be assessed for a second degree however.

As mentioned above, the Student Finance system can still pay Disabled Student Allowance for Postgraduate Students. It is not means-tested, and is based on equipment, travel, and non-medical assistance costs that you incur on your course as a result of your disability.

close tray menu