Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content
2 people shaking hands

Working rights

Every student who has been granted a valid Student Route Visa will have a right to work whilst studying but the working limits depend on the course they are currently undertaking.


The number of hours you can work during term-time is stated on your BRP card or your vignette in your passport. You must not exceed this allowance. You can work full-time during vacation periods.

If you are unsure on when your vacation period is, please contact your Faculty. If you require a working letter for your employer, please contact the Gateway Enquiries Team via Compass to obtain a Working Letter. 

Students studying part-time and Short-term study visa holders are not permitted to work in the UK.