Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

Places I've been

The following links below mark the 21 most recent pages you have visited in Sunderland.ac.uk.

As a full-time student, do I have to pay tax on my part-time earnings?

The answer, unfortunately, is yes - if your income is high enough.

Your earned income is taxable, so you do have to pay income tax like everyone else if you earn over the HMRC's 'personal allowance'. For the latest information on Income Tax Rates and Personal Allowances, please see Income tax rates & Personal Allowances . Therefore, if your earned income is under your personal allowance, you will not need to pay tax.

You need to make sure you are paying the correct amount of tax and that your employer knows that you are a full-time student, so that your earnings are recorded on the correct tax code. If you have been paying tax on an incorrect tax code and you earn only a small amount over the financial year, you may be entitled to a Income Tax Refund

Check out Student jobs paying tax and Tax Guide for Students for quick, simple information and guidance on tax.

Do I have to pay maintenance through the Child Support Agency to my ex-partner and child, if I am a full-time student?

At present, both the CMS (post 2012 applications) and the CSA (pre 2012) makes allowances for full-time students who are in receipt of Student Finance only, usually exempting them from payment or reducing the payments to a minimal amount. You can, of course, continue to make voluntary maintenance payments if your income allows.

Once you start your course, you will need to prove that your only income is from Student Finance (maintenance loan, and any grants) and request that CMS/CSA reconsider your payments due to your income situation as a full-time student.

Further information can be found here

I am a single parent and have started University this year. I thought I would be able to manage but I have a large bill for nursery charges for my children and will struggle to pay it.

You should be able to apply to your national Student Finance office for help with your nursery costs, as long as it is registered childcare provision, through the ChildCare Grant. (If you are from England then your Student Finance office will be Student Finance England. Scottish students apply to SAAS, and Welsh and Northern Irish students apply to Student Finance Wales and Student Finance NI respectively).

The maximum support is 85% of your registered childcare costs. There may also be help available through the University, from the University Hardship Fund.

For further information see the direct.gov.uk page on ChildCare Grant or contact us in Student Financial Guidance

I am living in an all student house and we have been sent a reminder about our TV licence. As we are all students, do we have to pay it? And is it likely that we might get caught if we decide to ignore it?

Students are not exempt from paying for a TV licence, but you can arrange to spread the cost of your licence by paying by instalments.

It is a big risk to use a TV and not have a licence. TV Licencing maintain a database of addresses who do not have a licence, and detector vans are also used to find non-payers. Penalties for non-payment can be severe.

For further information, see www.tvlicensing.co.uk and our in-depth TV License Info.

How do Student Loans work? How are they paid? And how do I repay them?

Please see our in-depth Student Loans Information. You can find information on Student Loan interest, the payments structure, as well as the government's repayment model that the Student Loans Company loans follow (i.e. both the Tuition Fees Loan and the Maintenance Loan).

I have a problem with Student Finance England. Can the University contact them for me to help resolve the issue?

Students often ask the Student Financial Guidance Team if we are able to contact SFE on a student's behalf to help resolve issues or find out what is causing a delay in payment.

The answer to this question is yes - but only if the student first gives SFE consent to share information with the University. This is for Data Protection purposes of course, as otherwise SFE cannot share your information with a third party. SFE refer to this process as a student giving them 'Consent To Share', and you can do this by simply phoning SFE and setting this up. It is quite a simple process, and we have provided PDF instructions on this below to help you:

If I have money problems and want to get financial guidance or to try and get some more money while I'm a student, who can I contact?

Contact us here at Student Financial Guidance . We offer a free, confidential, service to all prospective and current students of the University. We are happy to discuss any aspect of a student's financial situation and should be able to offer you practical support, information and guidance to help you continue on your course.

Also, as a starting point, you may find the following information useful here.


close tray menu