Contact the GP surgery and ask to register with them. They will usually ask you to complete a form called a GMS1, giving details such as:
- your name and address
- your date of birth
- your NHS number (if you know it)
- other information, such as the name and address of your previous GP
- your views on organ donation
Some GP surgeries will also ask you to see proof of your identity. for example, they may ask to see:
- photo identity, such as your passport or driving license
- proof of your address such as a recent council tax bill or utility bill (a gas, electricity, water or phone bill, but not a mobile phone bill)
The GP surgery will send the GMS1 to your local NHS Commissioning Board area team. Your medical records will then be transferred to the new surgery.
Read more about what local area teams, authorities and trusts do.