Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

Places I've been

The following links below mark the 21 most recent pages you have visited in Sunderland.ac.uk.

Registering with a GP

It is very important to ensure you can access the support you need when you need it. We encourage all students to register with a Doctor upon arrival. You should only register with a doctor (GP) in Sunderland once you are living in Sunderland. If you have yet to move, live at home or live elsewhere we recommend registering with your closest GP.

You can find your nearest GP by using this NHS GP Finder.  

Visit our website to read about how to register with a GP. If you would like some support with this, please get in touch at wellbeing@sunderland.ac.uk.

If you are an International Student please also visit our page about Health Information for International Students.

When should I use a GP?

Your GP can provide a range of services by appointment, including medical advice, examinations, vaccinations, and prescriptions. An appointment with your GP is the best way to access other NHS services you might need such as talking therapies. If you have an illness or injury that won't go away, then it's best to make an appointment with your GP.

GPs are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week via the out of hours service. You can access this by calling your GP's normal number.

Using a GP for Mental Health

You can book an appointment with your GP to discuss any mental health concerns you may have. They can assess your circumstances and offer appropriate treatment. They can also refer you to further services for more advice or treatment. You can read more about how to access mental health services here.

Talking to a GP about mental health may be difficult, the Mental Health Foundation has created a really great guide on how to speak to your GP about mental health.

If you feel very worried about your mental health or are considering taking your own life, you should talk to someone now, please get in touch with the below services;

Sunderland Extended Access Service

If you need to see a GP in the evening, at weekends, or on bank holidays, the extended access service can help.

Convenient service

  • Five handy locations in the Sunderland area, including Houghton and Washington
  • Staff can check your GP practice’s records about your health if needed unless you have opted out of record-sharing

Making an appointment

  • To make an appointment, contact your GP practice
  • If you can’t contact your practice, you can call NHS 111 where advisors will help you get the care you need. This could include making an Extended Access appointment if that is the best option for you.

Appointments available:

Monday - Friday: 6pm - 8:30pm

Weekends: 9am - 5:30pm Bank Holidays: 10am - 2pm

When should I use a Pharmacy?

A local Pharmacy can give you advice on common illnesses such as coughs, colds and sore throats and can provide you with the medicines you need to treat them.

If symptoms suggest it's something more serious, pharmacists have the right training to make sure you get the help you need. For example, they will tell you if you need to see a GP, nurse or other healthcare professional.

You can find your nearest Pharmacy here.

When should I call NHS 111?

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation. NHS 111 can help when you access local urgent health care services. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can also use the NHS 111 website encase you cannot call.

When should I call 999?

Call 999 in a medical emergency. This is when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Medical emergencies can include:

  • loss of consciousness
  • an acute confused state
  • fits that are not stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds

Call 999 immediately if you or someone else is having a heart attack or stroke. Every second counts with these conditions.

Read more about calling 999 on the NHS website.

Urgent Care/Walk-in centres

You can go to an urgent treatment centre if you need urgent medical attention, but it's not a life-threatening situation.

Find your nearest Urgent Care service here. 

Conditions that can be treated at an urgent treatment centre include:

  • sprains and strains
  • suspected broken limbs
  • minor head injuries
  • cuts and grazes
  • bites and stings
  • minor scalds and burns
  • ear and throat infections
  • skin infections and rashes
  • eye problems
  • coughs and colds
  • high temperature in child and adults
  • stomach pain
  • being sick (vomiting) and diarrhoea
  • emergency contraception


close tray menu