Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

Register with a GP

Student Journey / Student Information / New Students / Getting Settled / Register with a GP
NHS staff at welcome fair

Register with a GP

If you're moving to Sunderland you may want to think about registering with a GP in the local area, so that if you are ever ill you are always able to get the support and guidance you need from the GP. 


How to Register

You will need to select the GP surgery you want and check it covers the area where you will be living. You can find a GP near you on the NHS Choices website at www.nhs.uk

You will need to contact the GP surgery and ask to register. They will usually ask you to complete a form called a GMS1 and may also need proof of your identity, such as a passport or driving license as well as proof of your student status in the form of an attendance letter that you will be able to obtain yourself from e:Vision.

International Students

You will be required to pay an immigration health surcharge (IHS) as part of your Tier 4 visa application if your course duration is longer than 6 months. You can use the UKVI’s online IHS calculator to calculate how much surcharge you must pay. You will require your course start and end dates on your offer letter or CAS statement.

If your study duration is up to 6 months, you will not be required to pay the surcharge

You can start using the National Health Service (NHS) when you have paid the health surcharge and your visa has been granted.

This surcharge does not cover all healthcare costs in the UK. You will still need to pay for certain types of services such as prescriptions, dental treatment and optician services.