Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content
student on a laptop

Immigration Information

To help you feel organised when you arrive in the UK, you may want to think about opening a UK bank account, where to collect your BRP card from and whether you need to register with the police

Joining us soon?

Read our International Agreement

Setting up a UK Bank Account

We recommend that you open a UK bank account and avoid carrying around large sums of cash. This section covers the documents you require when setting up a bank account.  


Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

If you are applying to study at the University of Sunderland for 6 months or more, you will be issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

Your BRP is the same size as a bank card and is issued by the UKVI. This is evidence that you have valid leave in the UK.  


Police Registration

Some international students who are studying for six months or more are required to register with the police upon arrival in the United Kingdom (UK). You will then be issued with a Police Registration Certificate which is often referred to as a PRC.


Working whilst studying

Every student who has a valid Student Route Visa studying a full-time programme at the University of Sunderland should have a right to work while studying, but the working limits depend on the course a student is currently undertaking.