Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

International Student Support

Student Journey / Student Information / Support Services / International Student Support
International students at city campus

International Student Support

Our International Student Support (ISS) team is here to help you throughout your studies with any visa/immigration and welfare queries you may have.

If you have queries such as those concerning Student Route Visa extensions or switching to a Graduate Route visa, our immigration advisers are available to help you. If you need support around such welfare issues like accommodation, health, family support and finance, we have a specialist welfare adviser who can talk to you about your support options. 

Image of the student enquiry help desk

What We Do

Our International Student Support team are here to help you throughout your studies with any immigration and welfare queries you may have. We are a dedicated and specialist team who can offer advice and guidance on issues around visas, such as applying for the graduate route, and welfare issues such as accommodation and health.


Find out more
Hand pointing to contact symbols

Get in Touch

If you need to speak to us in International Student Support, there are several different ways you can do so.

There are both physical and digital methods of communication meaning you can always reach us, no matter the time of day or where in the world you are. 

Find out more
Image of a plane

Airport Arrival Service

The University provides an Airport Arrival Service for new students arriving at Newcastle International Airport (NCL) to put you at ease for when you arrive. Our Arrivals team will help you arrange transport from Newcastle International Airport to your University accommodation.

Find out more
Students taking a selfie

Arrival Guide

This online guide has been produced by the Gateway & International Student Support Team and is intended to provide information that you may find useful prior to travelling to the UK, ensuring your transition to life and study is as smooth as possible.

Find out more
Student on st peters campus

Student Route Visa

If you are an international student planning to come to the UK to study for longer than 6 months, you will likely require a Student Route Visa. All the information below explains how to apply for a Student Route Visa, and how changes to your course and study status can impact your leave in the UK. 

Find out more
Student walking down the stairs

Biometric Residence Permits

If you are applying to study at the University of Sunderland for 6 months or more, you will be issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

Your BRP is the same size as a bank card and is issued by the UKVI. This is evidence that you have valid leave in the UK.  

Find out more
Family sat at a table with a worker


We understand that you may want to bring family members with you to the UK during your time of study. International Student Support can advise you and your dependants around the Student Route Visa application process.  

Find out more
A graduate entrepreneur in her shop

Standard Visitor Visa

The Standard visitor visa can be used for those coming to the UK for short periods of study (up to 6 months) at a Higher Education institution.

Find out more
Students in science complex


International Student Support provide advice and guidance on international student welfare. This is a dedicated service for international students, designed to support your transition to the UK and throughout your time as a part of the University of Sunderland community.

Find out more
Students at graduation

Graduate Route Visa

From 01 July 2021 the Graduate Route visa will be live. The Graduate Route visa is a new work visa route for graduates who have a degree or other relevant qualifications from an approved UK Higher Education provider. It will be like the old Tier 1 Post-Study Work route visa that ended in 2012. Most successful applicants will be granted two years. PhD graduates will be granted three years.

Find out more