Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

Biometric Residence Permits (BRP)

Student Journey / Student Information / Support Services / International Student Support / Biometric Residence Permits
Student walking down the stairs

Biometric Residence Permits (BRP)

If you are applying to study at the University of Sunderland for 6 months or more, you will be issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

Your BRP is the same size as a bank card and is issued by the UKVI. This is evidence that you have valid leave in the UK.  

Collection of Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs)- Secure Card Collection

You can arrange for your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) to be delivered to a nominated Post Office branch in the UK. You can find your nearest Post Office branch by using the online Post Office branch finder tool: www.postoffice.co.uk/ BRP Collection 

To find your closest branch please use the following postcodes: 

  • City Campus - SR1 3SD 
  • Sir Tom Cowie Campus at St Peter’s - SR6 0DD 

Please note that the University of Sunderland no longer accept the delivery of BRP cards to the University’s address. 

Do not collect your BRP if you’re self-isolating because of COVID-19. The Post Office will keep your BRP for 60 days. Collect it when you finish self-isolating. 

What you’ll need 

You must normally collect your BRP before the vignette sticker in your travel document expires or within 10 days of arriving in the UK, whichever is later. 

Bring your passport or travel document with your vignette sticker to the Post Office when you collect your BRP. You’ll get your vignette sticker when your visa application is approved. 

For further guidance regarding the collection of your BRP card please visit:  

Under the age of 18?

You must be over the age of 18 to collect a BRP card. If you need to collect your BRP card from a Post Office, please contact International Student Support. An adviser will need to travel to the Post Office with you to collect your BRP card.


Assessing your BRP card

Your BRP card is your visa document, this is proof of your valid permission to study in the UK. When you receive your BRP card, you must assess the details printed on the card to they are correct. It is recommended you have a copy of the CAS Certificate you used for your current visa application available to you when you assess both sides of your BRP card.  

  • Name - It is not a mistake if your name is long and it appears ‘cut off’ on your BRP. There is limited space on the BRP card so it may not be possible for your full name to be printed. However, if there is a spelling mistake, you must report it.
  • University of Sunderland sponsorship number is URU3HMVC0
  • Place and date of issue
  • Valid until date – you will be granted 2 additional months after your course expected end date if the course duration on your CAS Certificate is more than 6 months but less than 12 months, and you will be granted 4 additional months after your course expected end date if your course duration on your CAS Certificate is more than 12 months
  • Number of working hours – you will be granted a maximum of 20 hours part-time work per week during term-time for a full-time undergraduate and postgraduate course
  • Sex/Gender
  • Date and place of birth
  • Nationality
  • Further conditions of stay

BRP Card Errors & Corrections

When you receive your BRP card, please check this carefully as mistakes can happen. If you believe that there is an error on your BRP card, please speak to an International Student Support Advisor as soon as possible. Errors must be reported within 10 days of receiving your BRP card.

If there is an error on your BRP card, we may need to post this back to the UKVI for correction. During this time, you should not make any travel arrangements until you have received your corrected BRP card back from the UKVI.

If you believe that there is a mistake regarding the length of leave stated on your BRP Card, International Student Support will assess this against your course dates. If your leave is incorrect, we will report this to the UKVI and update you once we have received a response.


BRP Replacements (Lost & Stolen)

If your BRP card is valid for 3 months or more and your card is lost or stolen this must be reported.

If you lose your BRP card from within the UK, you must:

  • Report the loss or theft to the police. You will be issued a crime reference number. Keep this number safe as you will need this when you make your BRP card replacement application.
  • Report loss or theft to the UKVI.
  • Make a BRP card replacement application within 3 months of your BRP card being lost or stolen.

If you lose your BRP card outside the UK, you must:

  • Report the loss or theft to the police. You will be issued a crime reference number. Keep this number safe as you will need this when you make your BRP card replacement application.
  • Report loss of theft to the UKVI.
  • You cannot apply for a replacement BRP card from outside the UK. Instead you must apply for a replacement BRP visa that allows you re-enter the UK once.
  • Once you have arrived back in the UK you will then need to make a BRP card replacement application.

You can book an appointment with an International Student Support Adviser to check your application form before you submit. You should not make travel arrangements whilst your BRP card application form is pending.


The Future of BRP Cards & eVISAs

If your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your VISA is valid beyond that date, do not worry as this is not an error. The UK government is moving away from using BRP cards to prove immigration status, to an online provision called an eVISA. 

Please note that the Home Office are now directly contacting individuals who have a student visa by email and asking them to create their UKVI account to get access to their eVisa. The ability to create an account is currently by invitation only, so please remain patient if you have not yet received this email. Once you have received the invitation, please follow the guidance provided by the Home Office.

You can find the official information and guidance regarding eVISAs on the GOV website, HERE.

See the video below for help creating your UKVI account:

You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP card expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status (for example, your visa) allows you to stay longer.

Your visa decision letter and Share Code should confirm your official visa permission expiry date so it is important you keep this letter safe. This will be your official evidence confirming your Student Route visa permission expiry date.

Another new, online method of proving your immigration permissions is called a Share Code. This can be used to prove your right to rent, and right to work in the UK. For more information and how to access it, see HERE.