Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content
Student on st peters campus

Student Route Visa

If you are applying for a visa extension to complete the remainder of your course, you will be applying under UKVI's Student Route (formerly Tier 4).

If you are an international student planning to come to the UK to study for longer than 6 months, you will likely require a Student Route visa. All the information below explains how to apply for a Student Route visa, and how changes to your course and study status can impact your leave in the UK. 

Here in International Student Support we are here to help you with your Student Route visa status once it is granted. If you require advice on a different type of visa, please contact International Student Support and we will be able to state whether we can advise. 

Student on an ipad

Applying for a Student Route Visa

If you require a visa extension to allow you to complete the remainder of your course, International Student Support will assess whether you are eligible to apply from within the UK or whether you need to apply outside the UK.

Find out more
Student on a phone

Leave of Absence

If sickness or other personal circumstances prevent you from attending classes or completing assignments, you may be required to take a leave of absence from your course and defer your studies to the next available start date.

Find out more
A graduate entrepreneur in her shop

Transferring Programmes

Transferring course may affect your current immigration status. If you would like to transfer course you could be required to apply for a new Student Route visa before you start your new course. You may need to return to your home country to make this application.

Find out more
Student in a lab environment


You may decide you would like to undertake a placement year during your time at University. A placement year will allow you to take a year out from your studies to gain industry relevant experience in a job role related to your studies

Find out more
Sabbatical officer talking to students

Sabbatical Officer

Sunderland Students' Union elects students and recent graduates into full time sabbatical officer positions who then act as executive officers of the Students' Union for a 12 month term.

These positions are full time paid positions that may have implications on your visa.

Find out more
2 people shaking hands

Working Rights

Every student who is granted a valid Student Route visa to study a full-time programme at the University of Sunderland should have a right to work while studying, however the working limits depend on the course a student is currently undertaking

Find out more