Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content
Image of the student enquiry help desk

What We Do

International Student Support (ISS) service provides dedicated immigration, visa and welfare advice and guidance. Our service is available to all international students and can be accessed in person or virtually. We work closely with our colleagues in Student Journey in order to provide a holistic approach to student support.

Our specialist immigration advisers can help you:

  • If you require a Student Route Visa extension or if you are planning to switch to a Graduate Route visa.
  • If you have a question that you would like to ask regarding your immigration status.
  • By keeping you up to date with the latest changes to policy guidance and will inform you should they have an impact on your current immigration status in the UK.

Our dedicated welfare adviser can help you by providing support and guidance around a range of issues such as:

  • Accommodation - finding somewhere to live, moving, maintenance issues, rental agreement advice.
  • Health - GP and dentist registration, when to seek medical advice and where the right place is to go, wellbeing advice, pregnancy support.
  • Safety - where to seek support and where to report any issues both on campus and off.
  • Finance - difficulty with managing money.
  • Education and childcare - how to enrol children in childcare and schools through trusted providers and the council, the law around children, family activities in the local community. 

Our welfare adviser is there to listen, support and advise. Referrals (with your permission) will be made for further, more specialist support within Student Journey and the local community. 

Please note that International Student Support team are here to assist current University of Sunderland students. If you are an applicant, please contact the Immigration Compliance team.

Training and Service Agreements

Our immigration and visa advisers are trained by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) and are regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)

Our welfare adviser has extensive knowledge of the welfare issues faced by international students and has built good relationships with external providers in the local community.

The advice and guidance service that International Student Support provide is free of charge.

Please read the International Student Support CAS Policy and Service Agreement for information on the various services we offer to our students.  

Please also take a look at the University of Sunderland's International Agreement.




If, at any stage, you are not satisfied with our service you can make a complaint through the formal Student Complaints Procedure.

Please contact our University Academic Services or the Students’ Union for advice on the process. You can find the formal complaints procedure online.