Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content
An image of the EU Flag

EU Settlement

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

If your application is successful, you will either be granted settled or pre-settled status.

International Student Support hosted a live session on the EU Settlement Scheme on the 27th November. If you missed it, you can watch the full session here. If you have any questions, remember we're always ready to help via Compass.

Settled Status

To qualify for settled status you must:

  • Be in the UK by 31/12/2020
  • continuous residence living in the UK for a 5-year period

Five years’ continuous residence means that for 5 years in a row you’ve been in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12 month period. The exceptions are:

  • one period of up to 12 months for an important reason (for example, childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas work posting)
  • compulsory military service of any length
  • time you spent abroad as a Crown servant, or as the family member of a Crown servant
  • time you spent abroad in the armed forces, or as the family member of someone in the armed forces


Pre-Settled Status

If you have not accumulated 5 years’ continuous residence in the UK, you can apply for pre-settled status in the UK. This is granted permission of 5 years to temporarily remain in the UK. After 5 years of continuous residence in the UK (including any gaps of up to 6 months within any 12 month period), you can apply for settled status. This 5-year period does not have to start from the date on which you are granted pre-settled status - it will include all the time you have lived in the UK. 

When & How to Apply

The EU Settlement Scheme is open so you can apply now if you meet the criteria. The deadline for applying is 30/06/2021.

You can apply using any device via the UKVI website.


Arriving in the UK after exit day

EU, EEA, or Swiss nationals who arrive in the UK from 01/01/2021 (the end of the transitional period) will need to apply for a Student Route visa.

Freedom of Movement

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals who enter the UK during the transitional period will be able to do so under the current freedom of movement rules.

This ends on 01/01/2021. 

Fees & Funding

Existing rules around financial support and home fees will still apply to EU students starting university in 2020/21. The government has confirmed that EU students starting at the University in 2020/21 will be eligible for home fee status. This means that they will be charged the same tuition fees as UK students throughout the duration of their course.

EU students who have been registered at the University in 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19 or 201920 (either as a new or continuing student) will continue to be charged the home rate for tuition fees for all subsequent years of their programme. EU students who are eligible for student loans, grants and PhD studentships will still be able to access these for 2020/21 entry.

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

The Home Office has clarified that while EU students are required to have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), they will not be removed from the UK or refused entry solely because they do not have it.